AFRICAN STICKY SOUP (Ewedu)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Jute mallow (Corchorus olitorius) leaves, 200 g
Sweet potato, 200 g
Dried small fish or shrimp, 15 g
Salt, 1 teaspoon
Water, 2 cups
1. Wash sweet potato, peel the skin, and cut into cubes.
2. Boil water in pot, add sweet potato cubes, and cook until soft.
3. Add small dried fish or shrimp to soup; continue to boil.
4. Rinse jute mallow leaves well, then rub the leaves until foamy and sticky.
5. Add jute mallow to soup, season with salt, and cook until the soup thickens.
Jute mallow leaves can be replaced with other mucilaginous indigenous vegetables such as okra, or with non-mucilaginous plants such as amaranth, cowpea, tropical violet, etc. In the latter case, some corn starch or potato starch is first mixed with water, then poured into the soup, and the soup is stirred until it thickens.