Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Tropical violet (Asystasia gangetica) shoots, 100 g
Rice, 1 cup
Fish fillet (codfish, perch, or milk fish), or salted sardines, 100 g
Salt, 2 teaspoons
Water, 1.5 liter
1. Rinse and dry tropical violet shoots. Cut into 3-cm pieces, set aside.
2. Rinse rice, pour into water, bring to a boil and then cook over low heat with constant stirring until rice is mushy and thick.
3. Cut fish into 1 cm x 1 cm pieces, set aside.
4. Add tropical violet to rice and continue cooking.
5. Add fish to rice porridge, maintain at a gentle boil, and season with salt. Serve when fish is cooked.
Tropical violet shoots can be replaced with amaranth leaves, jute mallow leaves, chard leaves, nightshades, etc. Fish can be replaced with other seafood. Rice can be replaced with a starchy food such as sweet potato, yam, plantain, or cassava that is pounded first, as in West African fufu.