Makes 20-25 jellies
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ashitaba (Angelica keiskei) leaves, 70 g
Apple, half (about 200 g)
Agar powder or plain pectin, 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sugar, 70 g
Water, 600 ml
1. Rinse ashitaba leaves, cut into small pieces, and blend with water in a blender until smooth.
2. Add sugar to the ashitaba puree.
3. In a pot, bring the mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon. Pour in the agar all at once and stir. Return mixture to a full rolling boil; boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Rinse apple, peel and cut into 1-cm pieces, set aside.
5. Pour the ashitaba mixture into jelly molds, place 3-4 pieces of apple in each mold, and let the jelly cool.
6. Chill jellies. Serve cold jellies with cream poured over the top.
Ashitaba leaves can be replaced with sesbania flower buds with their pistils and styles removed.