Enjoy these great photos from Bhutan teachers Tashi Tenzin, Choki Gyeltshen, Tendel Tshering, and Bartsham Karma Rinzin. Their schools are participating in the Vegetables Go to School project, funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
The project seeks to address malnutrition, particularly among children, by establishing comprehensive school vegetable garden programs in Bhutan, Nepal, Burkina Faso, and Indonesia. Successful school vegetable gardens aim to:
- achieve better understanding of biological processes and sustainable agricultural practices
- promote environmental awareness
- provide better information about healthy food choices
- promote sanitation and hygiene
- reduce the cost of food and provide a safety net for poor people by giving them the ability to grow their own food