Sobolo (Roselle drink)
Servings: 4 people
- pot or container large enough to hold about 4400 ml water
- Clean roselle calyces.
- Wash ginger and scrape off skin with a spoon or knife.
- Grind together ginger, hwentia, and cloves.
- Combine roselle and ground spices in a pot or large container. Boil 400 ml water and pour over the mixture. Cover and let stand until color is extracted (45 minutes to overnight) and liquid is cool.
- Strain liquid. Add sweetener and additional water to dilute to taste.
- Serve chilled.
- Add mint leaves.
- Add lemon or lime juice.
- Mix with pineapple or watermelon juice.
Roselle calyces (Hibiscus sabdariffa) contain anthocyanins, important antioxidant compounds.