Improved Livelihoods through Crop Diversification into Vegetables in Jharkhand and Odisha under the Central India Initiative (CInI)
Sustainable increase in incomes of smallholder tribal farmers in CInI target areas by diversifying into or expanding vegetable production
Start date: 2016
End date: 2019
This project is to promote year-round commercial vegetable hubs in selected blocks of the CInI operational area in Jharkhand and Odisha.
- Contribute towards achieving an increase in income of Rs. 60,000 per year per participating household through year-round vegetable cultivation (area cultivated of at least 30 dm for one season based on crop choice and season)
- Conduct with the active participation of farmers, at least 100 trials and demonstrations activities of key technologies promoted for adoption by farming clusters.
- Assist with development of at lease 1-2 nursery and other agro-input enterprises in each farmer cluster with a focus on promoting women entrepreneurs.
- Structured and need-based training delivered, totaling at least 2,500 person days and comprising local resource persons and progressive farmers.
- Production of training manuals, videos and multimedia products covering good agricultural practices of key vegetable crops.
Collectives for Integrated Livelihood Initiatives
World Vegetable Center team:
Dr. Warwick Easdown, Regional Director, South Asia (SA)
Dr. Ravishankar Manickam, Legume Breeder
Partner country agencies:
Collectives for Integrated Livelihood Initiatives (CInI) and its partner NGOs.