Wrapped in savory bacon, okra pods or "lady's fingers" make a perfect finger food.
Makes 20 rolls
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Young okra (Abelmoschus esculentus), 20 pods about 12 g each
Bacon, 10 slices
1. Rinse okra pods before blanching in boiling water. Cool and cut to the width of the bacon slices.
2. Cut the bacon slices in half crosswise.
3. Wrap each bacon piece around an okra pod, and fix with toothpicks.
4. Place bacon rolls in pan. Cook over medium heat until bacon browns or until most of the grease is cooked off. (If desired, spoon off excess drippings halfway through cooking time.)
5. Place cooked bacon rolls on paper towels to drain off excess grease. Remove toothpicks and serve warm.
Okra can be replaced with sesbania flower buds with their pistils and styles removed.